Date:      Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:00:38 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MFC 7840W under CUPS

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:25:06 +1000
Da Rock articulated:

> The biggest problem comes with using many interpreters of a single
> language. Thankfully pcl works on the majority of printers (network),
> and is practically a standard in the enterprise world, so you're
> still not marooned with a paper weight :) Unless you're a printshop
> and/or into graphic arts pcl will be more than sufficient for use. If
> you are working in graphic arts then I doubt you'd be using a brother
> or something that doesn't use pure ps anyway.

You might want to check out:
<http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting>.
It appears that "ps" is no-longer the format of choice but is being
replaced by PDF, a format that is natively supported by many printers.
In addition, there is an active project creating a wrapper framework for
the manufacturer's Windows/Mac OS X drivers, like the ndiswrapper for
WLAN cards, which is something I suggested a long time ago.

--
Jerry ♔