Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 01:05:53 -0400
From:      is <is@isaka.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Problem with Sony

Howdy,

Today I received my Dell PowerEdge 1300 and my FreeBSD 3.2 CD-ROM distrib
from Walnut Creek. After taking a moment to stick the "Powered by
FreeBSD" plaque over the "Intel Inside" logo, I popped in my CD and began
the install process (novice install). I got all the way through to
specifying my installation medium, at which point I got a "CD-ROM not
found" error.

The CD is a Sony CDU701 on the IDE bus, secondary 1. I messed around with
UserConfig options, but my limited knowledge wasn't enough to let me do
anything. I did catch the relevant point in the boot process, and the
line is:
scd0 not found at 0x230

I specced FTP as an install medium and things appear to be progressing
nicely even as I type. However, I figure I'm going to end up with a
CD-less system when I'm done. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm
by no means a Unix stud, but I'm willing to try whatever as this is a new
system. I will be needing the CD in the future, so any help you can offer
would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Israel Alvarez
Propellerhead Without Portfolio
is@isaka.net - The amazingly heavy lifeless dog
"The crimes of eBay are a disgrace to its Pig Latin heritage."
  - TheOnion.com