Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:27:17 -0700
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: randomdev entropy gathering is really weak

Note that there should be no need to cron the job.  You
only need to save one set of bits to be used as a seed
for the next startup.  And one set of bits SHOULD be
as good as any other.

I suggest you (at boot time):
1:      open seed file for read
        unlink seed file
        use seed file + available entropy to seed algorithm
        close the seed file

2:      open for seed file for write
        write X bytes for next time
        close file

Note that even if you do cron step 2, I recommend highly you
mix in whatever entropy you can gather at boot time into
the initial seeding.  This will ensure any reuse of the
seed file (such as if you crash between steps 1 and 2) will
result in different bit sequences.

Regards, Kurt