Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 2020 15:37:50 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
To:        Robert Crowston <crowston@protonmail.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Report: FreeBSD on Rpi4 8 GB model

> Am 10.06.2020 um 01:16 schrieb Robert Crowston via freebsd-arm =
<freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> I figured out how to start the xhci driver.
>=20
> The snag is, it seems the message to the VC to reinstall the xhci =
firmware has to be delivered *after* the bridge memory window is =
configured on the controller by the pci_pci bridge, and *before* the =
xhci controller is started.
>=20
> That kind of ordering is not straightforward to arrange, as far as I =
can see: I cannot hack the message onto the end of the pcie attach =
function, since we need the bridge child to have attached, but not the =
xhci grandchild.
>=20
> I think the best way then is to create a shim driver for the xhci =
controller whose probe() is designed only to succeed on the Rpi4. The =
shim's attach() will instruct the VC to load the xhci firmware, and then =
defer to the generic xhci_pci_attach(). All other methods will be =
inherited from the xhci_pci driver.
>=20
> Another idea is to put the logic directly in the xhci_pci.c file, but =
I think creating a dependency out to the Rpi4 mailbox API from the =
generic XHCI framework is quite a hack.
>=20
> Anyone have any thoughts?

Since your driver is dedicated RPi4_ONLY  your shim-if_bcm_thing sounds =
logical.
Especially when we consider that you think that this is the best way,=20
because nobody knows more about your driver than you :-)=20