Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:31:48 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to extend swap ?

>> * Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de> [000727 11:53] wrote:
>>> I plan to upgrade my system to 128M , currently i have 128M of swap and
>>> would extend it it is enabled by the fact that i have rather many unused
>>>
>>> place in my /usr and /home partion. How to do it ? Does parted work under
>>> fbsd ?

> Thank you but as far as I can remember I have not asked whether is it
> possible to swap to a file but rather if is it possible to extend swap
> partition.

You asked if it was possible to "extend it", "it" referring to "128M of
swap".  Adding a swapfile will do this, and you made no mention of the
word "partition" in your post.

Even if you had said that, the answer would be "no" and so Alfred's
answer was more useful anyway.

> 1)>How to specify the maximal size of the swap file ?

The maximum size is whatever size the file is to start with, AFAIK.  The
swap file won't be extended.  Just use "dd" to get the right size like the
other poster suggested.

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /