Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 15:09:10 -0800
From:      Marlin Prowell <mbp@januscom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp won't quit on hangup

At 5:22 PM -0800 12/7/97, Brian Somers wrote:
>>At 2:42 PM -0800 12/7/97, Ben Stuyts wrote:

>> We're having some trouble with iijppp lately. If the other end (a win95
>> machine) hangs up, ppp will not detect this and the line will stay open:

>Can you try adding "set stopped 5" to your default section in
>ppp.conf ?  If that doesn't work, can you try the ppp on
>http://www.freebsd.org/~brian.  It should make things better.

I recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 in our previously all Wintel office
network.  It is a mail server and internet connection.  For me also, the
ppp process would not exit after a win95 machine dialed in and then hung up.

I tried the "set stopped 5" suggestion, and that did not work, so I
downloaded Brian's latest, and ppp now exits when it should.

I would like to publicly thank Brian for his nice work on this user PPP
package.  I'm using it both on my three machine network at home, and also
for the office network at work.  The office machine has two modems on it,
one for dialing out, another for dialing in, and everything works
wonderfully.

And you can't beat 2.5 hour turnaround on support calls :-)

Marlin Prowell