Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:21:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        b_oshea@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diagnosing unrecognized hardware

In message: <20040326001354.12104.qmail@web10504.mail.yahoo.com>
            "Brian O'Shea" <b_oshea@yahoo.com> writes:
: Hello Warner,
:
: --- "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
: >
: > Basically, you add it to sys/dev/pccard/pccarddevs, run make -f
: > Makefile.pccarddevs in that directory, then add the line you talked
: > about in your other email to if_wi_pccard.c.  The first part of this
: > is desirable reguardless of if if_wi supports this card or not.  There
: > was some other mail suggesting it was a 'flash-less' card needing
: > firmware downloaded to it before it would work.
:
: Ok, the card is now recognized by the driver...
:
: wi0: <D-Link DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP> at port 0x200-0x27f irq 10 function
: 0 config 1 on pccard0
:
: However (as Oleg Polyakov suggested), this still won't work because
: the card doesn't have firmware.  Here's what I see now:

Yes.  That's who I saw say something also.

: wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x0000
: wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear: init failed
: device_probe_and_attach: wi0 attach returned 6

Any other messages?

: A quick search didn't turn up information on how to obtain
: firmware and upload it to the card.  D-Link has seems to have
: a pretty good support web site, but nothing for FreeBSD (I wasn't
: expecting anything).  Is there something like Linux's prism2_srec
: tool for uploading firmware onto these cards?

Not currently as such.  There's a primitive loader in the driver right
now to deal with the symbol cards that need firmware uploaded to
them.  Also, the prism2_srec tool is generally for flashing new
firmware, not RAM images (well, I should go look at it again, since
I've not looked at it in a while).

Warner