Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2000 18:36:28 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD at LinuxWorld.

At 01:34 PM 2/4/2000 , Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

>Many thanks to all our friends at Walnut Creek for creating this
>booth and the opportunies it provided to BSD to gain mindshare at
>a Linux event.  Linus dispargaged BSD in his keynote...guess he
>must be feeling the heat at little.

Er, uh, so to speak. :-) Seriously, though, what he disparaged was
not the quality of the BSDs but rather the exclusive and highfalutin'
attitudes which some of the developers are perceived as having. This
*is* a problem, both in image and sometimes in practice: the core
teams really are seen as exclusive, nearly inaccessible clubs.

On Thursday afternoon, my wife and I (who were wearing red turtlenecks
and were immediately bedecked with matching red horns by Bob Bruce when
he saw us at the booth) were sitting in the ".org" corral with Heather
Stern. Linus walked by, and Heather hailed him to talk. Linus started
to respond to Heather, then spotted Isobel and me, looking appropriately,
well, daemonic. He did a loooong double-take and asked, "What's going on
here?" We just smiled devilishly and continued the conversation, acting
as if it were perfectly normal for us to be dressed in red with horns on
our heads. Great fun.

--Brett