Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:34:16 +1100
From:      Sam Lawrance <boris@brooknet.com.au>
To:        Matt Mills <matt_mills@btopenworld.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Being a port maintainer" document

Matt Mills wrote:

> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>> I'd like to put out a general call for people to volunteer to maintain
>> our unmaintained ports -- this is a great way for users to "give
>> something back" to FreeBSD and help out the project -- but we need
>> some form of document we can show them that lists the rights and
>> responsibilities of port maintainers, so they have an idea of what's
>> expected from them.  The porters' handbook does a good job of
>> describing the details of constructing a port, but not the
>> higher-level aspects of being a port maintainer.
>

> Obviously, I may be about to ask questions that appear in the document
> in question, but I'll take that risk as there are some ports I could
> maintain.
>
> What skills does a port maintainer need to have? For instance, is it
> enough to be proficient with the software, to have basic system
> administration skills and an understanding of how the ports tree
> works, or is there some programming involved?

That's a good question. It's not answered directly in the current
porter's handbook, but a browse through it should give you a good
indication of what you need to do.

> I presume the latter as I would guess that the maintainers provide
> patches for ports that do not compile out of the box. I have some very
> basic C/C++ skills but am reluctant to take on maintainership(?) of
> any ports for fear of lack of skill.

There's a great way to find out; pick some unmaintained ports you'd like
to maintain, see if they need fixing or updating and give it a whirl. If
you get stuck there are plenty of people here to assist you :)

--
Sam Lawrance    ph +61 0425 228 579    freenode: deft