Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:13:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Corey <sbcorey@azstarnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, Spock <spock@india.com>
Subject:   Re: doubt?

On 27-Sep-99 Scott Corey wrote:
>> 2. Can I download freeBSD cd image frm u r site and burn it into the CD
>> and use it for installation
>>
> Yes

The ISO image is available from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ and also most
mirrors.

>> 3. Will that Cd image contains utils/applications along with the base
>> operating system?
>>
> Yes, maybe, however there is a way to be able to get the ports over the
> internet.

Actually, No.

Jordan Hubbard, the FreeBSD release manager, only made the first CD of the four
CD set available for download as an ISO image. The first CD contains everything
you need to install FreeBSD, and the ports skeletons (which will help you to
install extra applications later). The applications themselves, however, aren't
included.

You can easily get these applications over the Internet however, and this is
documented in the FreeBSD handbook on www.freebsd.org/handbook/

If you pay for your internet connection, I would very strongly recommend the
full 4-disc FreeBSD CD Set as available from www.freebsdmall.com

Hope this helped!

---
Andrew Boothman <andrew@ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org>