Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:24:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Abmahnung

% Hmm?  I read "Abmahnung" as 'dissuasion' or something similar implying a
% warning away from something.

> No, it's an active legal term.  There's a very good German word,
> "Warnung", for what you're talking about.  I don't think "Abmahnung"
> has a translation because the action itself is so despicable.

Knowing how Germanic roots work in English, the literal translation
is probably "Admonition."  It has the connotation of a warning
(warnung) that borders on preaching or harping.

> As if that weren't bad enough, the ostensible copyright infringement
> is not even for the word Triton--it's something vaguely similar.  He's
> on very thin ice, and I'm surprised that no group has formed to
> prosecute him.

It probably wouldn't stand up in the USA, where a fairly direct
conflict is required to prove trademark infringement.  I've often
wondered if I could make a fortune by buying a bunch of Geo Metros,
knocking the badgework off, and re-marketing them as "MS-Car97."

;^)