Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:10:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dma handling in the sound driver

>      Few days late on jumping in on this thread but here's my 2 cents.
>
>      I'm also all-for simplification if we don't sacrifice anything.  The
> two main issues on my mind WRT the proposed change are:
>
>       - Response Time
>       - Compatibility (Linux and FreeBSD apps)
>
> Response Time:
>
>      To the first, if with the proposed mods, a read() of N bytes of data
> from /dev/dsp always takes the same or less amount of time as in the
> current drivers doing a "SETFRAGMENT N" and read()ing N bytes, and ditto
> for write(), I'm sold on this point.  So e.g. for reads, the size of the

yes this is the goal. But I still plan to provide a SETFRAGMENT ioctl.

same for compatibility, I plan to support all linux ioctl's (provided I
can find out what they do :) )

Knowing which ioctl's are used by apps (commercial and not) would
certainly help to prioritize the work on some rather than others.

	Cheers
	Luigi