Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 20:45:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marc Ramirez <mrami@minerva.cis.yale.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Kernel panic with latest SNAP

I decided to move to the bleeding edge this weekend and install the latest
SNAP (940202).  So, I made a backup, pulled down the boot disks and
installed.

The install went okay, until I tried to reboot from the hard drive. The
kernel loaded okay, but then came the following:

npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to sd0a

fault virtual address   = 0xf006800
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask          =
panic: page fault
Please hit reset button

Well, I then tried to reinstall, and then noticed that when I brought up
Fdisk, it said my geometry was 2810c/4h/94s.  I had a hard time convincing
it that my geometry was indeed 2800c/4h/94s (as reported by the drive).
Finally, I simply installed DOS after which it decided my geometry was
516c/32h/64s, which I could live with.  So, I reinstalled, which went
fine, and I then tried to boot from the hard drive:

npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to sd0a

fault virtual address   = 0xefbf7938
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf0155b1d
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask          =
panic: page fault

<reboot in 15 seconds or hit a key>

So, I am falling back to 2.0R for the meantime.  I have a plain-jane
486/33 motherboard with AMIBIOS, AHA1542B w/ two floppies, 3 serial, 1
parallel, and an SMC Elite16.  The hard drive I was installing onto is a
Conner CFA540S.

Let me know if I can be of assistance,
Marc.

--
I telnetted to whitehouse.gov, and all I got was this lousy .signature!