Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:43:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status and future of sound drivers ?

According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
> > Why dont you take a look at the net/open-bsd sound code, that would
> > get us rid of funny copyrights too, and maybe make a common bsd
> > soundAPI possible ?? (that would also free us from the old spaghetti
> > code)...
>
> Well, let's not forget the [far, far greater] importance of having a
> Linux compatible audio API.  Their API may have its warts, but as far
> as audio applications written to the Linux sound driver spec, they
> have us beat by a factor of 10 or so.  Aside for some scattered mbone
> tools, there aren't any applications _written_ to use this common
> BSD soundAPI if we had one.  Frankly, I'd rather have the apps. :)

[Sorry about this over a month old thread getting a reply now, but I am just]
[now recovering from a time with almost no time to read the lists.          ]

Wouldn't it be better to eesign the Ultimate Sound API (or use the NetBSD one,
if it's good enough) and see to that it can handle anything the Linux API
can handle. Then simply build a Linux compat API on top of that? Then try and
make that API the standard at least amongst the BSDs?

  /Mikael