Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:38:08 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I wonder how much trouble something like this would be to do? :)

<<On Sat, 25 Nov 1995 02:41:08 +0000 (), Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> said:

> It uses the tun device, and raw IP sockets for its transport. (What's
> the point of wrapping IP in TCP? IP is unreliable anyway 8))

It would be better to copy the style of the `eon' network interface,
and use IPsec and IP-in-IP encapsulation.  I built something similar
(without security) about three years ago in an ill-fated attempt to
completely redesign the IP multicast support.  (Hint: IP multicast
includes support for tunneling already.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.