Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 06:37:16 -0600
From:      Laurence Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.dyn.dhs.org>
To:        Tom Parquette <Tom_Parquette@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiprocessor boards benefit a workstation?

Comments inline:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 02:44:50 -0500
Tom Parquette <Tom_Parquette@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> I'm selecting components for a workstation machine and I would like some
input.

> I'm planning to use an AMD processor (Athlon or Duron) and a Tyan
motherboard.  I have had good luck with my Athlon and Tyan board in my
curent machine.

Don't get me wrong at any point in the information that follows. Tyan makes
a great board, and I would unflinchingly repurchase all of the tyan boards
I currently have.

> Question #1: Does an SMP configuration benefit a workstation machine's
performance enough to justify the costs?  e.g. two of the Athlon MP chips
in a Tyan multi processor board.

This depends on what you're doing. If you frequently do anything that's cpu
intensive (ie you end up waiting for you computer), and whatever you're
doing can take advantage of both cpu's, yes. In the case of something like
building software, using make -jn on a dual cpu system can be almost twice
as fast as on a single cpu system.

> Question #2:I remember seeing a couple of items asking about experiences
with the Athlon in an SMP configuration.  The Questions mailing list
archive does not seem to be available so I cannot search it.  What are the
experiences with the Athlon MP systems?

I recently built my wife a new computer on the tyan S2460 with dual 1500+
MP's (1333 MHz). Before I go any further, I'm going to make you think twice
about this particular board. It appears to have issues with certain
hardware - specifically netgear FA311's. Other than that I haven't had a
single problem with it. I would still encourage you to ask around, look
around, and research the several other smp boards available. If you end up
coming back to the tyan because you *know* the quality of the board, more
power to you. Other than that, I haven't had a problem with the system.
It's so fast that it hurts to use it - her system makes netscape 6 feel
light weight and nimble.

The bottom line is, when you add up the cost of all the components, does it
look like it will be worth the money? I am a fan of SMP systems myself. In
fact, I used a dual P233MMX as my primary system until a little over a year
ago, when I built myself a single duron 800. My point is, if you build an
upgradeable SMP system, its life expectancy (before it starts to feel
sluggish) is probably more than twice what a single cpu system is. In the
long run, the cost evens out.

--
Cotharyus
lauasanf@bellsouth.net

I've known him as a man, as an adolescent and as a child -- sometimes
on the same day.