Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:34:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@nuxi.com>
Subject:   Re: NFSv3 seriously broken in 3.1

John Polstra  wrote:
> but I was wrong. :-}  David O'Brien has informed me that he added
> recognition of "nfsv2" to am-utils in FreeBSD.  Sorry for the
> misinformation.

Indeed I wanted to ``complain'', because I have been successfully using
that option on 3.1. ;-)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, David O'Brien wrote:
> If you want to verify that the option is working for you, look for
>
>     found compatiblity option "nfsv2": set options vers=2, proto=udp for host

Yup, I found that.

Why I brought this to stable and why think this is rather important is
the following:

We had a perfectly stable 2.2.7 system which worked fine with our Solaris
2.6 server for several months. Merely by upgrading to 3.1 and without
changing the AMD configuration one bit, the setup broke!

From the replies I received (also by private e-mail), I understand that
NFSv3 is not considered ready yet. However, shouldn't it be *disabled*
by default then for -stable resp. 3.x?

Gerald