Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Jason Artz <jasonartz@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Want to install RELEASE-6.1, have 5.3 disks

--- Jason Artz <jasonartz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 23, 2006, at 2:34 PM, Jason Artz wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I want to install FreeBSD 6.1 on my system, but
> > only
> > > have a version 5.3 CD.  I can tell sysinstall to
> > get
> > > 6.1 instead of 5.3 via FTP (under "Options,
> > Release
> > > name"), but I read that using an old sysinstall
> > > install a new version is a bad idea.  I cannot
> > figure
> > > out how to obtain a new sysinstall without
> making
> > boot
> > > floppies (I have no floppy drive nor a CDRW).
> Can
> > > install 5.3 and then somehow upgrade via FTP to
> > 6.1?
> > > Or download the new sysinstall to my 5.3
> > installation,
> > > run it, and install 6.1 instead?  What's the
> best
> > > method?
> >
> > Can you just download the 6.1 iso disks and make
> new
> > installer disks?
> >
> > Otherwise, you can install 5.3 and use cvsup to
> > upgrade to 6.1
> > through a source upgrade.  Just follow the
> > instructions carefully.
>
> Is there a way to do a binary install instead of
> downloading all the new sources and compiling them
> as
> an upgrade?  I don't have a floppy or CDRW drive so
> cannot burn new installer disks.  I am stuck with
> 5.3
> installer disks.  It seems that there should be a
> way
> for me to do a fresh, binary install of 6.1 from
> 5.3.
>

> What if someone sent me a copy of 6.1s sysinstall
> and
> I ran it from the 5.3 environment?  Would that allow
> me to do a proper, fresh 6.1 install via FTP?  I
> have
> tried installing 6.1 with my sysinstall and it will
> not boot.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

I thought if you went to the options in sysinstall and
go to the part that says Release Name and it likely is
going to say 5.3-RELEASE change that to 6.1-RELEASE
and then do an ftp install. You should get the newer
version of the system. I have used this to install
5.4-CURRENT in th past from 5.4 bootdisks. I would
have to assume it should work for a newer release as
the distribution is packed the same.

I know this is how one would have sysinstall choose an
arbirtrary custom built installation of FreeBSD from
say an NFS mount.

-brian