Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:11:27 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        cc@137.org
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multihead XFree86 4.0 beta 3.9.15 working

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 02:41:54AM -0500, Chris Csanady <ccsanady@iastate.edu> wrote:

> > After a download, build, install session and some time
> > spent crafting the right /etc/XF86Config file,
> > I can report it all works great.
>
> Really?  I have a Millenium 4M card, and I have not been able to get
> it to work well.  First problem--I absolutely can not get *any* 4.x
> version of netscape to run on it.  They all complain about the
> locale/nls stuff, and give me a bus error.  If I could get this to
> work, I could overlook the fact that the VidMode extension does not
> apear to work right with fxtv.
>
> Honestly, the only thing I really care about in 4.0 right now is the
> gamma correction, which appears to work.  Actually, most everything
> else appears to work, but I can not live without netscape. :(

What I use is linux version of netscape 4.6, it works. FreeBSD native
version for some reason complains about locale stuff, as you noted.
My hope realized, the damned SiS 530/5595 I own now works, at least
partially. The 8MB of video memory seems not supported at this time,
only 4MB. Otherwise I'm very pleased about stability and ttf support.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee