Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 22:54:34 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, tstromberg@rtci.com, freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to start? Heres a few overflows.

> 	As I recall, one of the goals that OpenBSD used in their audit
> process was that they fixed bugs wherever they ran across them,
> regardless of whether they believed they were exploitable.  This has
> protected them against a number of exploits that have since become
> known, since the bug that someone is trying to exploit simply no
> longer exists under OpenBSD.

This is very valid, and most valuable.

> 	Do we not want to employ the same kind of methodology, or have I
> missed something here?

Absolutely. Any bug fises are most welcome.

> 	Also, what about the OpenBSD approach whereby security becomes
> inherently integrated into the entire development process, as opposed
> to something you try to add later?

As long as it is not a silly thing like adding crypto to cat(1), that
is fine.

> 	Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the entire
> audit project is doomed to ultimately fail if we can't ensure that
> bugs, once fixed, remain that way.

If we can train the committer-base on what to do (some style(9)-type debates
come to mind), then we should be able to maintain it indefinitely.

Mark Murray