Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 2015 08:11:24 -0400
From:      Michael Jung <mikej@mikej.com>
To:        "Bill (EtherneXt)" <ethernext@gmail.com>
Cc:        John De Boskey <jwd@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-SCSI <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ses/pass devices (enclosure/processor devices) not all showing up?

On 2015-09-09 01:42, Bill (EtherneXt) wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:35 PM, John De Boskey <jwd@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>> Hi Folks -
>>
>>    I have a shelf with 84 sata drives. All drives show up
>> correctly and are accessible. The shelf appears to have
>> multiple processor devices and one enclosure device internally.
>> For instance:
>>
>> # camcontrol devlist | grep XYRATEX
>> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R24 3034>      at scbus7 target 159 lun 0 (pass18)
>> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R36 3034>      at scbus7 target 188 lun 0 (pass47)
>> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R36 3034>      at scbus7 target 217 lun 0 (pass76)
>> <XYRATEX DEFAULT-SD-R24 3034>      at scbus7 target 232 lun 0 (pass91)
>>
>> # camcontrol devlist | grep ses
>> <DELL SC280-01-E6EBD 3034>         at scbus7 target 144 lun 0
>> (ses0,pass3)
>>
>> # camcontrol smprg pass18 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
>> Number of Phys: 25
>> # camcontrol smprg pass47 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
>> Number of Phys: 37
>> # camcontrol smprg pass76 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
>> Number of Phys: 37
>> # camcontrol smprg pass91 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
>> Number of Phys: 25
>> # camcontrol smprg ses0 | grep 'Number of Phys:'
>> Number of Phys: 37
>
> you definitely want to install and use the sg3_utils package to manage
> the enclosure. the sg_ses utility in sg3_utils will provide most all
> the info you will ever need. you can use sg_ses to manage drive/slot
> LED's, fans, power supplies and more. sg3_utils installs a lot of
> useful tools so take a look at them all. there are also some basic ses
> tools in /usr/share/examples/ses. sdparm is also a handy tool for
> managing drives.
>
> for the 4 pass devices, I am not sure. there is a scsi processor
> device driver named pt but I have no idea if it is related. do a man
> pt for more info. you may also want to build the kernel with the sg
> device which is another pass-thru device for compatibility with the
> scsi generic linux driver. with sg_ses, take a look at the line for
> subenclosures:
>
> #>sg_ses ses1 -p 1
> SUN  CSM200_E  98C4
> Configuration diagnostic page:
>   number of secondary subenclosures: 0
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> if you see 4 subenclosures, those scsi processor devices may be used
> for internal enclosure management and communication with the ses0
> device, but thats only a guess on my part. you can also try using
> sg_ses on the pass devices to see if they report enclosure services.
>
> also see the sg3_utils website, lots of detail on using the utilities.
>

> Best,

I had a similar problem with no /dev/sesX devices. As explained to me by
Alan Somers
my backplane in my enclosure did not have a SEP.

"A SEP is a microcontroller, normally builtin to an expander SOC, that
shows up as
  a SCSI target device.  It's the device that talks the SES protocol,
  and it's what gets the /dev/sesX device node."

Once I changed my backplane I then had /dev/ses0 and in my case could
simply
use sas2icru (LSI) with my supermicro backplane.

Even sg3_utils did not help for me until I changed my backplane.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2015-May/006713.html

Hope this helps.

--mikej