Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:05:35 -0700
From:      Bruce Dang <btdang@home.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: traceroute filter.

Alex,

The last 'traceroute blocking' thread went on for a few weeks, so I
think you should look into that.  In addition to that, I think blocking
ICMP packets, especially type 3 and 11 would allow you to traceroute.
traceroute(8) works by sending UDP datagrams to destination,
incrementing TTLs after every hop.  If you block all ICMP packets, the
intermediate routers will not be able to send back ICMP packets, which
makes traceroute(8) almost useless ;(.

Bruce Dang
www.tbug.org

i wonder how long this thread will go on...