Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 02:27:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To:        jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        uh@grep.cs.fsu.edu, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/etc

> Gang-Ryung Uh writes:
> > I have upgraded my system to FreeBSD-current. But I belive
> > there are some differences between "/etc" and "/usr/src/etc".
> >
> > What is the best way to incorporate the changes in /usr/src/etc
> > to /etc ?
>
> I'm not claiming it is the best way, but what I did was to make a
> copy of my existing /etc, then do a "make distribution" in
> /usr/src/etc (which also rebuilds /dev), then delete all the old
> files in /etc (date < newly installed files), then manually bring
> customizations from the old /etc into the new.

You might try what I do on my systems.  Create a /usr/src/local/etc
directory.  Anytime I modify anything in /etc, I place a copy in
/usr/src/local/etc.  Since I run a -current system, every couple of
weeks I diff my /usr/src/local/etc with /usr/src/etc and see if my
files need upgrading.  My goal is that I should be able to blow
away /etc/* and replace with with "cp /usr/src/etc/* /etc;
cp /usr/src/local/etc/* /etc" without any problems.  So far so good.
At least with this method you should know which files you modified,
so you don't spend too much time looking at diffs for files you
never even knew you had on your machine.

You just have to be disciplined enough to make sure that any changes
you make in /etc make it back to /usr/src/local/etc.  I haven't had
a problems with that, but it might take a few kicks in the butt if
you administer a machine that many people have root access on and
they also change boot/configuration items.
--
Mike Pritchard
pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu