Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 06:51:18 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        andreas.klemm@wup.de, andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.2.2 - problem: no colors when using mutt in a color xterm

Andreas Klemm:
 |At home I'm using FreeBSD-current and X11R6.3. There it's possible, to get
 |mutt configured to use colors.
 |
 |I start xterm +xm -tn xterm-color, start mutt from within this
 |xterm session and get nice colors.
 |
 |When doing this on FreeBSD 2.2.2 using X11R6.2 (the FreeBSD version
 |shipped with 2.2.2), then I only get black and white display.
 |
 |Is some solor support not implemented in 2.2.2 ???

Yes, you have at least two options:

Option #1:

     If compiled with either ncurses or Slang:

          setenv TERM xterm-color

     to activate a terminal entry that has the color-capability set.

     This has the conn that the xterm-color entry isn't as well written as
     the xterm one, so some of your terminal emulation won't work as well.
     Read on...

Option #2:

     If compiled with Slang, just use your regular "xterm" terminal entry
     (i.e. leave TERM set to "xterm") and:

        setenv COLORTERM y

I recommend compiling with Slang.  I've been running with it on FreeBSD and
Solaris for a good while now, doing color with both mutt and slrn (a news
reader).

Randall