Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 10:02:43 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chip McClure <vhm3@hades.gigguardian.com>
Cc:        groggy11@mail.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad isp - dns

Chip McClure wrote:
> Depending on the type of connection you have, I think you would have
> a right to complain to your ISP about it. From my point of view, if
> it is a residential, then you're probably out of luck with getting
> reverse dns added by your isp. If your network connection is better
> than residential dsl, or a cable modem, I'd start complaining to the
> isp about it. You have a right to get reverse dns in a commercial
> hookup. The only other option, is to use your isp's smtp server to
> relay all mail from your network.

He described his problem badly.  He could have described it in a
single sentence:

	"How do I configure an outbound mail server on a
	 non-routable network which resides behind a NAT?"

I arrived at this because of the back-and-forth that has happened
so far, from the context clues provided, but not explicitly stated
(for some reason, people are reluctant to actually ever tell you
what problem they are trying to solve, probably for fear that you
will point out that their "solution" can't ever work, and they
will have to change their configuration to one that will work).

He still hasn't published the full information about his
intended configuration to the list ...e.g., we don't know how
the NAT will respond to incoming connection, we don't know
if there is an external third party MX, and we don't know
that the internal mail server is not retrieving it's email
via ATRN or UUCP or some other mechanism which doesn't strip
envelope information (e.g. "multidrop POP", of the kind
badly supported by "fetchmail" -- so much for "The Cathedral
and The Bazaar" being a meaningful document).

The answer is that the mail server must masquerade as the NAT,
so that exposed addresses in outbound email can be resolved to
a replyable address.

The "reverse delegations" he's having problems with are
for 192.168 addresses.  He's *never* going to get the ARPA
delegations for those... agreed?

He's also having problems with forward lookups for what are,
in effect, unpublished hosts that live behind the NAT.  To
fix this, he should MASQUERADE_ENTIRE_DOMAIN() (see the
sendmail book from O'Reilly for details on this m4 macro).

He can't claim an unpublished domain part for a "helo",
"ehlo", "mail from:", or "rcpt to:" argument.  The mail
server rejecting his email is doing so because there is
no way to contact the sender of the email.

If the sender is legitimate, that means he's asking the mail
server to take delivery responsibility while refusing to
provide the mail server with a method of discharging its
responsibility in the case of failure (i.e. it has no place
to send the DSN's in case of failure, because the sender is
impossible to contact).

If the sender is illegitimate, then it means he's asking the
mail server to deliver his SPAM for him... and again, the
mail server is saying "no".

-- Terry