Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 05:03:32 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
Cc:        "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: postfix equiv. of sendmail's -bH?

At 8:08 PM -0500 2003/01/18, Kutulu wrote:

>  I was just concerned that some useful task that used to occur nightly may
>  now not be occurring, and if so, what I could do to make it occur again.  I
>  didn't see anything to even indicate that postfix has a host status cache,
>  meaning the option is pretty pointless either way.  I was just wondering if
>  anyone who had run postfix longer than me knew for sure :)

	I think the closest that postfix has for the sendmail "host
status" feature is the fast_flush_domains parameter, but this is
normally only used for those domains that you will be acting as a
backup MX/relay host and only works in conjunction with the ETRN
command.

	With sendmail, IIRC you can use the host status information both
for domains that you act as a backup MX for, as well as for domains
that you do a lot of e-mail with.  Therefore, they don't quite serve
the same function.

	The fast_flush_domains feature is something Wietse added after
several people (myself included) complained that there was no easy
way to do the equivalent of a "sendmail -qRdomain.com", either from
the command-line or via the ETRN command.  Instead, he used to just
flush the entire queue.

	Imagine you're an ISP running a backup MX for tens of thousands
or hundreds of thousands of clients, and you see an average of 5-10
ETRN commands per second.  Then think about trying to flush the
entire queue each time you get an ETRN.

	Of course, postfix has built-in methods of restricting the number
of SMTP clients that can be attempting to deliver mail to any given
user or domain, so it has less of a need for something like a
HostStatusDirectory.

	My understanding is that the fast_flush_domains stuff works
through having the system log data related to the $relay_domains
parameter in a certain way so that you can keep track of which
file/message is bound for which recipient domain(s), and so that you
can then figure out which files need to be flushed when you get an
ETRN.

	I don't think there's a way to flush this feature in postfix,
short of stopping and starting the service.

	However, I'll have to check the latest source code to be sure.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>