Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:40:55 -0800
From:      Michael Dunham <m.dunham@connectingteams.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kdelibs3 configure script reports LibXext error

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 05:02 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 04:08 pm, Michael Dunham wrote:
> > OleVo wrote:
> >
> > Subject: kdelibs3 configure script reports LibXext error
> > To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >
> > I'm trying to install the KDE3 which came with freeBSD 4.9 from
> > ports. Unfortunately the installation fails while installing the
> > kdelibs3 with the following error:

> Actually, the damaged foot looks to be self-inflicted. His port list
> includes XFree86-libraries and libXext. Since kdelibs couldn't detect
> libXext, he probably installed libXext last. Before he tries anything
> else, he needs to delete the port libXext and reinstall
> XFree86-libraries. He may still have the same problem but I never had
> any problem updating kdelibs from 3.1.4 to 3.2.0 on FreeBSD-4.9-stable.
>
> Kent

It could be, I know there are several conflicts in the 3.2 upgrade that are
related to moving applications among ports and libraries.  Because of that
the order of the upgrade is important and I also found because I initially
did things out of order, I had to do some some fresh installs to get things
back to ground zero.  At one point, while trying to run down the
dependencies, I ended up with two versions of KDEBase installed.  That was
messy.

There are several related threads on the ports mailing list and here on the
questions list because of the changes that have been made.  People haven't
put all the issues together yet, so we are just poking around in the dark to
some degree.  Hopefully, someone is watching who understands the interaction
and can update the related ports in a more cohesive way.

So, on we go...
--
Regards,

MIKE...