Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 13:35:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jau@jau.csc.fi (Jukka Ukkonen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: atapi/ide probing problems?

> 	Jordan Hubbard said in README.1ST (in FreeBSD-stable) that
> 	there have been some problems with ATAPI/IDE CD-driver. When
> 	I asked more about the problems he told me some CD drives
> 	do not reply correctly to probes. Could someone tell me the
> 	types of drives that fail to respond the probes?

Ones which do not conform to the letter of the ATAPI specification.

Typically manufacturers do *not* put this information on the bos the
drives come in because if they did, no one would be stupid enough to
buy them.

You are unlikely to be able to get "a list of evil drives".  You can
robably get "a list of good drives" once a bunch of people have installed
the new release code and used their ATAPI CDROM's.

Which means you can do one of:

(1)	Try it and see.
(2)	Wait.  Other people will then try it and see for you.

Most of the people who follow -current don't buy IDE, so they can't tell
you what will work (I have ~30G of disk personally: none of it is IDE, so
I can't tell you either).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---