Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:49:29 -0600
From:      Gilbie <ghu@iname.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE + XFree86 4.1.0 + i810

  I installed FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE over the net on my hard drive upgrade,
choosing no X (since 3.x only when installed at that time).
Then I edited file to load kernel support for agpgart at boot.
I downloaded the 4.1.0 binary packages.
I've changed security level to -1.

My problems:
1) xf86cfg won't run: caught signal 11, core dump, errors include:
Symbol yyy from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/xxxxx.o is
unresolved!
where xxx are the names of various drivers.
Ditto with XFree86 -configure.

2) xf86config would run but the generated file doesn't seem to work when
I run startx.
(I don't have XFree86 3.x installed on this new machine as far as I know.)
It'd complain about Section "InputDevice" not a recognized name, and the
SubSection generated under dbe wasn't recognized...
** ALSO, (dont know if this tells something) it indicated that dbe,
freetype, and type1 can't be loaded as specified.
(Although libdbe.a is in modules/extensions/ and libfreetype.a and
libtype1.a are in modules/fonts/.)

[The hardware works.  Previously before this hard disk upgrade I ran
Suse 7.0 (using my old disk) and both FreeBSD 4.1.0 and 3.3.6 works.]

I've searched the net archives and have not seen any answer.
One person that got it working with similar symptoms had glide_drv.o in
the drivers directory,
but I didn't...  Any help and a quck response would be appreciated.