Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:01:07 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        gmains@damn-cool.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linksys WPC11 Wireless <-- Anyone have it working??

> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:30:27 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Gabriel Mark Mains <gmains@damn-cool.net>
> Subject: Linksys WPC11 Wireless <-- Anyone have it working??
>
> Does anyone out there have one of these cards working under FreeBSD? Or
> any UNIX/Linux variant?

I have the D-Link DWL-650, which is an extremely similar card,
mostly working.  BUT, it doesn't work in -STABLE as of a few
days ago.  I had to go back to 4.3-RELEASE to get it to work
(actually, I CVSUPed to RELENG_4_3, which is -RELEASE with
security patches added).  If you don't already own one of the
cards, though, you might want to hold off on rushing out to
buy one until someone confirms that it works.

You could also install -STABLE and then replace the wi driver
source with the -RELEASE source.  In any case, use the wi driver.
/defaults/pccard.conf is probably already configured to recognize
the card.  I don't have a 4.3 system handy to check.  Use wicontrol
to configure the card.

I have not been able to get encryption working.  If you do, please
let me know.  I'm rather limited in how I can use my card without
encryption, and I'm about ready to go buy another brand if that's
what it takes.

- Bob