Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:28:12 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: USE_GTK and USE_GNOME rules for bsd.port.mk

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 07:00:30PM -0800, Jeremy Lea wrote:

> I'd like to get some feedback from the ports list about the following
> patch, which adds USE_GLIB, USE_GTK, USE_IMLIB and USE_GNOME to
> <bsd.port.mk>.
>
> [snip]

A couple of things, one that I've already covered in private email
to Jeremy.

  1.  I don't think there's much to be had in dealing with GTK+ 1.0.x -
      assuming my INDEX is up to date, I only see 6 ports that use
      gtk-1.0.6, and one that uses ko-gtk-1.0.6, so the extra
      complexity for different versions isn't really worth it here.

  2.  I'm getting a little concerned about the number of knobs we're
      adding to bsd.port.mk - perhaps the time has come to split all
      the USE_* knobs out into their own file, included by bsd.port.mk

The reasons for (2) are as follows:

  (a) improves readability of the files (ok, so they're only read by
      relatively few people, but that doesn't mean they should be
      overly complicated).

  (b) separate core makefile functionality from value-added extras

  (c) allow any committer to update bsd.port.knobs.mk - improving
      turnaround time for when major ports require updates to USE_*
      macros - please note: this is not any kind of attack on Satoshi
      or his current handling of his bsd.port.mk et al. empire - I simply
      believe that if we fully utilise these USE_* knobs to make all
      the ports Makefiles a little more readable, then there are likely
      to be more updates to the file that contains them than fits in with
      the current (ir)regular mega-updates to bsd.port.mk

  3.  Extend the macros with a few more variables, to allow somewhat
      easier port developing when major new versions turn up, eg:

> +.if defined(USE_GLIB)
> +LIB_DEPENDS+=	glib12.3:${PORTSDIR}/devel/glib12
> +GLIB_CONFIG?=	${LOCALBASE}/bin/glib12-config
> +.endif

      would become:

      USE_GLIB_DEPEND?=	glib12.3:${PORTSDIR}/devel/glib12
      USE_GLIB_CONFIG?= ${LOCALBASE}/bin/glib12-config

      .if defined(USE_GLIB)
      LIB_DEPENDS+=	${USE_GLIB_DEPEND}
      GLIB_CONFIG?=	${USE_GLIB_CONFIG}
      .endif