Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:35:31 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blocked domains getting through junkbuster with https: ?

parv pecolated,

> in message <200202262217.g1QMHcu04195@fac13.ds.psu.edu>,
> wrote dochawk@psu.edu thusly...

> > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/amex.adoutlet/getthere;pos=top;sz=468X60;tile=1;ord=44314090190099576?
> >

> i just checked it; it's working.  make sure that you specify proxy
> for both plain http and https (netscape 4.79 has the latter as
> "secure proxy") connections.  and, of course, doubleclick link goes
> thru' if i unset the "secure proxy" value.

ah-hah!  I think I knew this years ag, but I don't think I've ever had
anyone send blinking gifs over that protocol before.  And why *woould*
anyone, other than to sneak a cookie through???

thanks.

I was also expecting  the line

127.0.0.1               kcookie.netscape.com doubleclick.net

to block it, but I suppose I needed ad.doubleclick.net instead.

And why does netscape think they're entitled to slap a cookie at me
every time I open the browser???

thanks again

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail