Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:01:32 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        David Jenkins <david.jenkins@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First questions: rebuilding world

--zCKi3GIZzVBPywwA

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 11:49:03AM +0000, David Jenkins wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 00:59:50 -0500, Joseph H. Fry <joe@thefrys.com> wrote:
> > Thanks!  So you can do everything in multiuser mode, or do you still
> > have to drop to single user mode to actually install the new kernel and
> > new system binaries?
> >=20
> > Also, does doing all of this bring me to the most recent stable release?
> > (I noticed that 5.3 was released yesterday, presumably just after I
> > downloaded 5.2.1).
>=20
> I've done it once in multiuser mode and it all went fine. I did read
> somewhere that if you do have to do it this way because getting
> physical access to the machine is difficult, then make sure you shut
> down as many services/processes as you can. i.e just make sure sshd is
> the only daemon running etc ...
>=20
> If you've used the correct TAG in your cvsup files and have cvsup'd
> over the last day or so, then you should build 5.3-RELEASE.

Another alternative, if you have more than one unixoid machine in your
basement, is to set up your FreeBSD box to use a serial console, and
string a null-modem cable from it to another machine.  On the second
machine you can use a terminal emulation program -- tip(1), kermit,
even Windows Hyperterm to access the serial console on the FreeBSD
box.  This lets you drop to single user and still have remote access.

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole=
-setup.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew