Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:19:36 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        jonny@embratel.net.br, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can the mess in ports/alpha/packages-4-stable please be fixed?

Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> >     BTW, instead of leaving the files in /All and setting links in the othe
> > directories, I'd rather find the files in its original main folders, and li
    nks
> > in /All, /Latest and other folders.
>
> That's not the way it works - the package target in ports is very
> specific about putting files in All/ and then making symlinks to that
> directory.  Changing that will make this collection different from all
> others before it and also unpleasantly astonish those who are used
> to established convention.

The problem is that somebody, somewhere, somehow, is using scp -r
to copy the alpha ports tree to ftp-master and is snapping all the links
in the process.  This is not happening for i386.

We need to find out who is actually doing this and get them to stop it and
do it so that the symlinks are preserved.  (ie: use scp -rp(?) or tar)

Cheers,
-Peter