Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 15:30:58 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
To:        Thomas Kovacs <tom@thomaskovacs.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation dating

[I've Cc'd Nik Clayton on this so we can get his feedback and he doesn't
 have to wade through the other -docs messages to get to it.]

On Wed, 24 May 2000 at 16:43:44 -0700, Thomas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi there,

Howdy,

> First off I want to say the documentation you provide is EXCELLENT! I
> have found it extremely helpful and am grateful for all the effort
> contributors have put in to it. I'm pretty experienced with writing
> documentation and when I get better experienced with FreeBSD, I would
> eventually like to help with the documentation project.

Thanks.  I think I speak for all of us when I say that.

> As a suggestion, would it be possible to put the 'last updated' date
> on each document. I like to keep my collection of documents up to date
> and spend quite a bit of time perusing over on-line pages to determine
> whether I have an updated version or not.

The only thing I see being a problem, is with the handbook, even though
each ``chapter'' has multiple documents, they're really only in one SGML
file (well, one for each chapter).  Let me give you an example incase
that doesn't make sense.  In this case, I'll use the security chapter
(http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/security.html).

If you look at the URL above, you'll see something like this:

    8. Security
	8.1. Synopsis
	8.2. Introduction
	8.3. Securing FreeBSD
	8.4. DES, MD5, and Crypt
	8.5. S/Key
	8.6. Kerberos
	8.7. Firewalls
	8.8. OpenSSL
	8.9. IPsec

Even though there are 9 sections to that chapter, there is only one file
that generates them:

    [jim@luna:~/handbook]$ ls security/
    CVS  chapter.sgml
    [jim@luna:~/handbook]$

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not sure we can do something
like the other FreeBSD.org web pages (with a ``Last modified: <date>''
sort of thing at the bottom) because of this.  This is main reason why
I've Cc'd Nik -- maybe he knows of a way to do it that I'm missing.  All
in all though, I think this is a decent idea and wouldn't mind seeing it
implemented.

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -