Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:00:14 +0900
From:      Choy Kho Yee <khoyee@tf7.so-net.ne.jp>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   japanese fonts problem with java plugin in firefox?

Hi, I start firefox with the environment variable LANG set to
ja_JP.eucJP
to enable japanese input with kinput2, like this:

$ LANG=ja_JP.eucJP JSERVER=localhost XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2 firefox

But when I go to a site with java applets, the messages in the dialog
windows
created by the java plugin are encrypted and I can't read them. I think
this is
the font problem and I may correct it by editting
jre/lib/font.properties.ja but I don't
know how. (Would somebody show me how can I do this?)

Since I don't mind to have java showing english messages, is it
possible to set
the locale of the java plugin to something else(POSIX) while keeping
the LANG
environment variable to ja_JP.eucJP for firefox?

FYI, I am using firefox-1.0_1,1 and jdk-1.4.2p6_6,
linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.05.

Thanks.

---
Choy Kho Yee