Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 18:15:14 +0530
From:      "vijaypatel" <vijaypatel@hotpop.com>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Developing Proxy Server - Don't have Speed.

Hi,

We are developing transparant proxy server on FreeBSD 4.7 having =
hardware configuration pentium-I 200Mhz,64 MB RAM.

we have done following things.

-- we have done Network Address Translation for every packet going =
outside.
-- we are using libnet 1.0 & C Socket API,C Standard Template =
Lib.(Hash,Map,Vector) for Network Address Translation.

Network Address Translation  is giving exact result.

Problem
-- we are testing speed of Network Address Translation operation which =
is about 7 KB/S which is extreamly slow.
--   we have configure SQUID proxy server to mesure speed of internet =
which is about 700 KB/S
-- Earlier we thought that less speed is because of LIBNET Libaray so =
that we remove everything concern to LIBNET & used SOCKET APIs only.
-- we have tested same code on LINUX 7.1 which is giving speed of about =
300 KB/S which is quite reasonable.

We want to build application like IPFW - natd as a part of project.
We aiming to get around 500 KB/S speed  of our proxy server. so help us =
in finding out bootleneck of our code or suggest any alternative way.

please suggest any solution so that speed of Network Address Translation =
can be increase.

Thanks in Advance.