Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:57:11 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
Subject:   Re: high performance server design approach

Define "high performance" , what are your expectations in terms of =
concurrent connections, requests/second and all ?

Allow me to shed some measure of light here, we're running 16x web =
servers with nginx doing *permanent* (as in, for all requests) URL =
rewriting and serving 500 req/s each.

These servers admittedly running debian are behind 4x freebsd boxes =
using a combination of PF, CARP and relayd on 8.3-STABLE.

The web servers deliver 200mb/second worth of *small* files (roughly 1kb =
javascripts).
They hardly ever reach 0.25 load average, on 8 cores + hyperthreading.

What I'm getting at here is, nginx *totally rapes* performance-wise, at =
least for our own needs.

If it is able to deliver 500 req/s (for each server) of small files, =
surely it can handle the load you're planning on throwing at it ?