Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:06:11 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
To:        hoo@mondenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unix

You Wrote:
>Dear Annelise Anderson.
>I would like to learn Unix. I also would like to know whether I can
>Install Unix OS in my computer through CD without partition of my
>computer? (  because I am not sure, how far I shall like Unix)  Or/ can
>I run Unix from a CD Rom?

First, you appear to believe that this is a persons e-mail address. It
isn't. It is a mailing list which delivers all e-mail's to a wide varity of
volunteers who may be able to help you.

To answer your question, as far as I am aware FreeBSD needs a partition on
your hard-disk to operate. However a cut down version of FreeBSD called
PicoBSD is available, and the whole thing fits on one 1.44MB floppy.

See http://www.FreeBSD.org/~picobsd/

The second CD of the Walnut Creek CD Set contains a 'live filesystem'. Does
anyone else on the list know if that CD could be mounted under a PicoBSD
boot?
--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org