Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 03:46:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Aron Roberts <aron@speakeasy.net>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netshow etc....

As far as the unix variants of netshow go the player quality isn't far
below the win32 netshow 2.0 player.  Unfortunately it is listed as beta
(for support reasons I hope) with netshow 3.0 having stumbled out the
door over a month ago (stumbled meaning MS botched the codecs sent out
with the players such that the 3.0 encoder will produce asf files that
the 3.0 player cannot read)..

I've also found that playing through our archive of past 3.0 jobs that
some of them will play, some will play with only audio.. and most will
simply show you the status bar chewing on the file :) I haven't done
this scientifically however and can't say what plays and what doesn't.

I'm more curious to know if anyone has tried the RealPLayer5.0 (linux)
under the emulation system and more importantly if anyone had any luck
with it.

I keep hearing *rumors* that real networks was planning on an
unsupported G2 player for FreeBSD. Seeing as how Linux and FreeBSD
pretty much run the server end of things down there I would not find
this suprising. Now an encoder i'd be really excited about :)

anyway.. that's my two bits....

aron roberts
aron@speakeasy.org