Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2012 07:28:59 -0800
From:      Royce Williams <royce.williams@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iso2flash img

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:52:53AM -0500, Mark Felder wrote:
>> As an alternative I recently purchased a Zalman ZM-VE200 device (there's
>> also a USB3.0 flavor) that lets you copy ISOs to it and it will emulate a
>> CDROM/DVDROM/BDROM for you so you never have to deal with this mess again.
>> It works amazingly well. I was tired of fighting this problem and this is
>> an amazing solution -- I can keep every ISO I ever need on a single drive.
>>
>> http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=431
>> http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=459
>> http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/ve200
>
> really nice, thanks for the link. Now if they had something
> that supported a USB key it would be even nicer...

I *love* mine - it almost always Just Works.  Since all you do is buy
the enclosure (around $30), you can put in whatever size 2.5" drive
you'd like.  I threw in a 750G, so I have ~98G of CD and DVD images.
There is a physical rocker switch for navigating the list of ISOs and
mounting/unmounting them.  You can also toggle ISO-only, drive-only,
or hybrid/both mode, so I've got lots of other stuff on there that's
handy once you've booted.  It also has a physical read-only switch -
great feature.

The only hangup I've seen so far is if the BIOS doesn't support
USB-attached optical drives.  There are probably some workarounds for
that out there (boot from a USB and then chainload-ish the optical
drive), but I have not yet pursued them.

There is undocumented support for floppy images as well.  I haven't
tested it, but there are success stories.

*Highly* recommended.