Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 14:54:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shared /var for -stable and -current?

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> I would share /var between the 2 versions.  There are no changes that
> I have seen to /var files that would effect you sharing this between
> any 2.x release that is not handled during boot.  You may want to
> force building all of /var/run/dev.db by rm'ing it before the
> dev_mkdb as that may get confused with device numbers and slice code.

I would make /var/run (and perhaps /var/log) in MFS. :-)

Otherwise, things like /var/run/foo.pid might really become confusing.
For /var/log, you can perhaps work it out sharable (e.g. by having one
machine forwarding all syslog things to the other).

Same holds for /var/account, if you're going to run accounting, for
/var/spool/lpd perhaps, etc.  Too many things under /var might
consider this unique to a single machine.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/