Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:53:22 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPSec basics

Hi there,

I'm about to try to set IPSec over a wireless link (as WEP can't be trusted),
and just wanted to check I have the concepts straight in my head.

One end is an iBook which connects to the Net via a FreeBSD
gateway, posing as an Airport.

The FreeBSD box runs ipf and ipnat.
The iBook will be using PGPDesktopSecurity, since that's the
only IPSec client for OS9 I know of.

All I want to do is encrypt traffic over the wireless,
and use it for authentication as well.

This is a pure IPv4 setup ,and all I *think* I need is
transport mode.

I hear IPSec doesn't grok NAT, but I'm hoping this is referring
to tunnel mode (i.e. VPNs).

Just wanted to check that would work.

Also, will the ruleset on the firewall need changing, or
is IPsec handled before the packets hit the firewall?

 If changes are needed, a tutorial would be very useful.

Thnaks a lot.
--
"Hey!  Who took the cork off my lunch??!"
		-- W. C. Fields