Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:19:23 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Stanislav Wissotsky <stan_marina@mail.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 08:02:32PM +0400, Stanislav Wissotsky wrote:

> I recently wrote about the problem with the installation of FreeBSD
> 3.4. My question was about receiving a message 'No CD-ROM device
> found' ( I have SONY CD-ROM model no.  CDU311 version BA(produced in
> 1996)) after choosing an installation from CD-ROM (step 8).
>
> The advice I received from Rahul Siddharthan
> <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in> was to try booting with the -c flag.  I
> tried and it didn't help.
>
> Other ways of installation are not sufficient for me, so I'd like to
> find the way of installation via CD-ROM device. Please if anyone is
> able to tell me how I can do that, I'd be very gratefull.

Unless I'm mistaken, SONY and some other proprietary cdrom interfaces
are not supported by the kernel installed with the boot and installation
disks of FreeBSD, as somebody else has already pointed out.  Once you
install FreeBSD on your disk, you can compile your own kernel and
include the necessary support, of course.

However, if a minimal installation is not possible through FTP, to get
your BSD system up and running to the point where a kernel can be
compiled, you can still install from cdrom if you borrow a bare-bones
IDE cdrom from a friend near by, and install from his cdrom drive.
When you have the sources installed from your friend's drive, you don't
need it anymore, and you can return it :-)

After that, compile your own kernel, and include SONY-cdrom support, to
be able to use your own drive from then on.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public key: finger keramida@ceid.upatras.gr