Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 06:47:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jay@oneway.com (Jay)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .nfs files, what causes them and why do they hang around?

> > Note that if the server goes down *and* the client goes down, you
> > may be left with "stale" versions of these files, which you then
> > have to manually remove.
> > As a general rule, you should "find" files matching this name format
> > and older than twice the longest reasonable expected use of an unlinked
> > file by a client to delete them.  The others may still be in use.
>
>    So what is _supposed_ to happen to these files?  is the nfs server
> supposed to remove them automatically?  Or are they just supposed to
> hang around till I kill them on the server?

You are supposed to never crash.

>    Also, I read in a couple mailing list archive messages that the nfsv3
> in 2.2.x is not stable, is this true? should I be using nfsv2?

Apply my LEASE patches, and apply David Greenman's (or was it PHK's)
NFS vnode locking patches, both posted to -current and -hackers,
and you should see a much more stable system.

I don't know if the not-my-patches have been applied to -current,
but I'd be surprised if they were in 2,2,7-stable.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.