Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:36:10 +0100
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        "Ryan Masse" <mail@max-info.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail queue

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Masse" <mail@max-info.net>
To: "Kal Torak" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc: <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 8:00 AM

> send to
>
> How will the SMS know what the primary MX record is if this machine is on
> sepereate network? how do i configure this?

In the dns for foo.dom

$ORIGIN foo.dom
    MX    10    primary.foo.dom.
    MX    20    secondary.bar.dom.

Does not matter on which network the servers are.

> primary server--->
> mail, web, ftp, etc
>
> secondary-->
> only secondary mail server
>
> how does the secondary mail server 1. know to queue the mail and not send
it
> to a local inbox 2. know when to send the queued mail to the primary MX 3.
> know the primary MX in the first place?

1:  Don't tell the SMS foo.dom is local, i.e. don't put it in Cw
2: It just tries once in a while. Or the PMS could issue an ETRN (Look for
etrn.pl, in sendmail/contrib, I think it is)
and ask the SMS to start sending to foo.dom.
3: It will just look in the DNS. for the lowest MX working. It won't be
sending to itself or any higher numbered MX.

> Sorry i'm missing the connection here =\

If you are missing the connection too often, perhaps you need a backup
server :->

Leif