Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:11:58 -0500
From:      Ron Steele <ron@dc.infi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 Screen width short by 1.5" on laptop

This looks like a classic case of having wrong VGA parameteres.  It's been
a long time since I had to deal with this, but I think it a delay time.  It
really doesn't have anything to do with resolution, other than the delays
are deferent for each resolution.  This delay tells the hardware how long
to wait after a horizontal line ends, before it turns the video "beam" back
on.  I am no expert, so this likely a slightly bungled explanation.

One of the programs that comes with XFree86 lets you tune this quasi
interactively.  I don't remember the name, vgatune or something.  Poke
around in the X11R6/bin directory.  This should get you sorted out.  One of
the (dozens) of things that I really like about X is that I can tune it so
all the modes take up the exact same screen realestate, which also matchs
text mode.