Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:14:46 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB 2 HP Laserjet 2550L problem

	Hi,

	I'm using RELENG_4 from a couple of days ago and trying to drive my
new toy - an HP Laserjet 2550L colour printer via the USB2 port on my Asus
A7V333 motherboard. The printer has PCL6 and PostScript 3 support, so I'm
using it as a PostScript printer.

	It /nearly/ works. The first job to the printer prints fine (and
quickly) but the data transfer light keeps flashing and the printer will
not print anything else until a timeout passes, at which point there's a
small clunk from the printer and it will take one more job. In the
interevening period it swallows all the data sent to it but never prints
anything.

	When connected to the parallel port the printer works fine, although
the data transfer light keeps flashing after the job has been sent. If I
can get the USB2 interface going properly I would be happier, even with
ECP/EPP large print jobs are slow to transfer.

	The ehci bits of dmesg are:

ehci0: <EHCI (generic) USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xd5000000-0xd50000ff irq 10 at d
evice 9.2 on pci0
ehci_pci_attach: companion usb0
ehci_pci_attach: companion usb1
usb2: EHCI version 0.95
usb2: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0 usb1
usb2: <EHCI (generic) USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
usb2: USB revision 2.0
uhub2: (0x1106) EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1

C:>WIN                                      | Solar Thermal Systems
The computer obeys and wins.                |      http://www.soleire.com/
You lose and Bill collects.                 | Directable Mirror Arrays