Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:05:28 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
Cc:        kris@FreeBSD.ORG, rraykov@sageian.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using sysinstall

> I wonder if there is a fundamental reason why /etc needs to be
> overwritten, or it is just because the sysinstall is doing so.

Guys..  This discussion is exceedingly silly.

Sysinstall only extracts a fresh /etc when you INSTALL a binary
system, just as it will happily format your disk if you choose to
label and newfs everything from the appropriate editors.

That is why you only choose installation of bin if you want to
literally bring your system back to the *exact state* that a newly
installed system at that release level would be at.  There are many
good reasons why someone might want to, such as an /etc directory that
was completely spammed or suspect of having been tampered with.

If what you're trying to do is actually UPGRADE a system, which is to
say take a running system and modify it, then you are supposed to use
sysinstall's Upgrade option.  Upgrade will present you with many of
the appropriate warnings about doing silly things like formatting your
disk and it will save your /etc into a temporary directory and
resurrect your local/changed files.  You have simply been using the
wrong option, it sounds like to me, and that's not a compelling
argument to change an option which is used for other purposes when
used correctly.

- Jordan