Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:38:34 +0100
From:      void <void@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: periodic daily takes a very long time to run (14-stable)

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 05:23:49PM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:

>Well. You could remove daily_clean_disks_enable="YES" from /etc/periodic.conf.
>That saves you the "find". I have never used it before. The default is "off".

Yes, I'll try that, but it's a very recent addition. The periodic daily problem
is something thats been happening since even before the machine went from
13-stable to 14-stable. The addition of daily_clean_disks has made
a bad problem worse, because rather than the problem happening for ~1 hour
it happens for 3.

periodic daily should be finished soon, it's moved onto
/usr/local/etc/periodic/security/460.pkg-checksum

edit: it finished, took exactly 3 hrs:
# date && periodic daily && date
Fri Oct 27 13:40:15 BST 2023
Fri Oct 27 16:40:14 BST 2023

>The list of files it checks for doesn't look very useful to me in 2023.
>This does do a full find over *all* directories and files. *every day* ???

yeah that was sort of my reaction. I've not looked yet for a
monthly-clean_disks where I could define an exclude pattern for things like
ccache. That to me would be useful.

The reason it was enabled was no more than a "sounds like a good idea"
variable to enable on a machine that is presently used mainly
for poudriere, which can tend to generate a lot of core consequential to
pkg build failures etc.

>If you have a lot of *.core files you are better of putting this in
>sysctl.conf: kern.corefile=/var/tmp/%U.%N.%I.%P.core .
>So you know where to look to delete them.

>Actually my RPI3 has this in cron: @daily  find /var/tmp/ -name "*.core" -mtime +7 -ls -delete .

thanks for these, have implemented both

>That is pretty heavy for you setup if you manage to run things in parallel as the RPI4
>has 4CPUs.

PARALLEL_JOBS=1
TMPFS=ALL # with excludes for things like llvm & rust & gcc

>It doesn't help to run daily_cleanup together. ;-)

Before I started asking about the issue, what I was trying to address/work around
was that sometimes (if for example the poudriere run went over 24 hrs) it would
run into periodic daily. This caused problems before I made it worse by adding
daily cleanup LOL

Now to test periodic daily without daily cleanup...

How long does yours take?